Friday, October 26, 2018

Memory Excellence 16: Groves

16. Groves

Once I drove there - night and orange blossom smell - 
and this is how the smell sounded.
And I don't recall what road, and I don't recall why I was there,
but I drove there.
Bring the night and bring your old car and
bring the promise of sweet smells to come.
We'll smell groves there and recall how we once were young.


Nice way to start out side 2, right? Now we're getting old. I made a little 3" CDR (a format that seems to have vanished) that I split with some guy in, hmm, New Jersey? that I lost contact with immediately after this came out. I think maybe five copies of the CDR exist, and I may not actually own one.

This song is about one weird moment in Southern California when I had the windows open in my Datsun and the anachronistic smell of orange blossoms wafted in. The other two songs on the 3" were also about these weird moments between the cracks in Southern California. I should make that 3" available again. Once I get all these writeups finished, maybe.