Thursday, October 25, 2018

Memory Excellence 12: R.A. Montgomery

12. R.A. Montgomery

Our time is short and our task is large
And we have choices to make.
But we've got to make it to the end without hurting anyone.

We may find sweet peace or we may encounter ruin

For we have choices to make.
But we've got to make it to the end without hurting anyone.

Oh my toil's unsatisfactory. My steps are heavy-laden
As I'm rolling through the mountains. As I'm ripped behind the smog wall.
Still, we've got to make it to the end without hurting anyone.

For our view is clear and our paths defined
And our world resonates like a pure glass bell
And we've got to make it to the end without hurting anyone.

Yes, this song is sort of about the guy who wrote the Choose Your Own Adventure books. I read through a few of them and realized that they had a very simple, very direct morality: If you caused harm to any other creature, you would end up dying or being disappointed. Simple but effective. R.I.P. R.A.

This particular version was recorded on the Bronwyn and Minor Thirds "Silver and Gold" tour, or, as I should have entitled it, "Jake Anderson Spreads Pertussis Multi-State Disease Vector Tour." I enjoyed touring with these two fine bands, but I should probably have stayed home. And if I'd had medical insurance, I probably would have been realize what I had and been able to take something to help me from spreading it to everyone. Sorry.

Anyway, Chris P. tickled the plastic ivories and I gasped for air and played my $10 garage-sale guitar in good old KUCI's main room. Somehow I made it to the end.