Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Memory Excellence 02: Shudder

02 Shudder

High school was kind of awful and I dreaded social interaction. I'd recorded some stuff on the boombox in my bedroom with fellow nerds with varying amounts of musical ability (mostly low). So my life was completely changed by the gift of a Fostex X-15 four-track by my youth pastor Bob F., who had moved on to an unthinkably luxurious cassette 8-track (!). I commenced to create an endless number of albums on the thing, cranked the input gain up to make fuzz sounds, stuck microphones inside guitars, contact-miked everything, explored, explored, explored. Oh how I loved that thing. I never had a car in high school, but I drove that four-track into the ground.

This song was one of the first things I recorded on it. Two tracks of black pointy-headed Polaris bass, two tracks of the worst guitar ever created. I would get better at everything, I guess, but there's something to be said about taking your first steps.