Thursday, October 13, 2022

October 2022 playlist

Picks to click October 2022:

Los Cripis, particularly the song "Restaurant":
https://loscripis.bandcamp.com/track/restaurant

They come up in my shuffle play every so often and that makes me remember that I love them, and then I get the song "I'm Going to Buy Food" stuck in my head every time I go to the grocery store. They were a thing about a decade ago and now their songs are approaching the age of link death and bit rot, so I've been snapping their stuff up cheap before it becomes unobtainium. 

Arthur Russell's "Iowa Dream": I like to play songs about riding bikes while riding my bike. This one is a song about his riding a bike in Iowa that could be my song about riding a bike in Iowa that I can listen to and think about riding a bike in youth Iowa while riding a bike in adulthood Oregon. Also, nice to hear Mr. Russell in garage-pop form.


The Raincoats' "Animal Rhapsody": I never quite got Moving despite being way way into their first two albums, but I recently checked out the book about the Raincoats' 1st album from the library and that helped me dig deeper. I still don't understand why the 90s reissue of Moving left off so many of the songs - hearing the songs they left off, I think I would have liked it better with those songs included? Anyway, disco-fied synth bass Raincoats with horns is a good idea:


Speaking of disco: I was reading about Elia y Elizabeth and realized I'd never checked out Jimmy Salcedo's stuff. I found a bunch of stuff. I asked my Colombian coworker if she was familiar, and she immediately said, oh, El Show de Jimmy! So this rabbit hole goes pretty deep. Vampisoul, bless their hearts, is putting out a retrospective next month. This album is almost certainly post prime, but it is pretty bumping nevertheless:

I bought the cheapest copy available on Dwisqwogz (three bucks). Oh yeah.