Thursday, October 13, 2022

Disco: unifying force of the world

In my most recent post, I went on about Jimmy Salcedo y su Onda Tres's Vallenato


which takes that particular style of Colombian music and slathers it with disco Vaseline, with highly appealing results. 

The more I listen to it, the more it has in common with its much squarer American cousin, Myron Floren's Disco Polka:


Notably, both TV music dudes who made at least one delightful and highly cheesy disco record that incorporated their particular local flavor into the tsunami of 4-on-the-floor disco that swept the universe in 1977 or 1978.

After listening to this stuff, YouChoob keeps telling me that I want to listen to Wire or Can or something, saying, come back from the dark side, but I'm doing all right over here, YouChoob. There's time for that stuff later.