Monday, July 15, 2024

Picks to click July 2024

  • Sole Otero's graphic novels - apparently the epic Naftalina is coming out on Fantagraphics translated as Mothballs, so I thought I'd beat the rush and check out the Spanish version from the library. Intensa is also pretty over the top.
  • How did I not know that there was a video for Nilsson's beautiful"All I Think About Is You"? And of course it is super weird.
  • My dad was a big Nilsson fan and it explains a lot about both him and me.
  • Riding the cargo bike up the hill on SE Bell Ave and having people tell me "you can do it!" This has happened multiple times. Do I look like I'm struggling? I probably do. That thing is massive.
  • The horrifying and perfectly told title essay in Myriam Gurba's Creep. Plus I'm very fond of her take on going to Iowa, "Waterloo," featuring an all-too-familiar story of ordering a salad at a Pizza Ranch.
  • Finally breaking down and buying a cheap Swytch with Aminal Krossing pre-installed, playing it in the hammock with my boy, both of us laughing and laughing.
  • That and Untitled Goose Game, even funnier.
  • Trying to figure out some cover songs for a pool party at Mike L.'s wedding. I haven't played a solo set in front of other people in forever. 
  • Also looking at an epic journey by five different modalities from Clackamas to Ojai - bike to airport, fly to Burbank, train to Oxnard, walk to the place where I'm staying, take a couple different buses to Ojai the next day. Now that I'm writing it out it's a little crazy.