Sunday, July 19, 2026

WCKR SPGT on the trail

Yesterday my wife went to a birthday party for our friend. They were making a beef cake. Boyo and I took advantage of the beautiful afternoon to visit the new library and then to take a little hike.

The idea of the beef cake, of course, got the WCKR SPGT song "Marriage at 30,000 Feet" stuck in my head pretty bad:

I got married at 30,000 feet
to the woman I love
for the parcel of meat
she had strapped to her back
made a horrible parachute.
Don't use meat for a parachute.
Meat chute
Wife lose.
I love you.
We traded our vows and the rings on our fingers.
A union sanctified by God.
In the marriage at 30,000 feet
 

In case you were wondering, singing "MEAT! CHUTE! WIFE! LOSE! I LOVE YOU!" on the trail is perhaps the most mortifying thing you can do in the presence of a 9-year-old.

That whole album (Everybody's Dead (Oh, No)) is full of indescribable moments that get stuck in my head at the weirdest moments. As is, I guess, their whole discography. And it is always a joy to rediscover their webpage whenever I get one of those songs stuck in my head and I have to verify that, yes, that song does indeed contain the phrase "Meat chute/Wife lose/I love you."