Thursday, September 26, 2024

"When the Song Begins"

Always interesting when something you did twenty-five years ago comes up on shuffle. This 10-minute number was recorded, if I recall correctly, on my blue Tascam Porta 02, probably using a single microphone. The title is the first line uttered, nearly five minutes in, and I like how the coda is actually kind of pretty. I also like how my guitar is borderline inaudible, but it is clearly providing invisible structure to the proceedings:

Not my favorite album by said group, but definitely the edgiest GW album cover, Wegman weimaraners photoshopped onto that infamous gun photo, with faux-Crass typography to boot. And in any case GW's albums don't necessarily function to be good or bad, they just are, they exist to propagate themselves in used record bins. This one was particularly good at that function since it was on what I recall being a pretty hip record label? And I appreciate how this particular song has a whopping 16 plays on YouChoob.