Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Aikagi

Japanese duo Aikagi put out a couple really charming records on the eternal Blackbean and Placenta Tape Club back in the day. Who can forget "Piggy Bank"? This magnificent, goofy, and surprisingly complex earworm gets stuck in my head every few months or so, and the video is pretty great too (maximum twee: dig the striped shirt, fake eyeglasses, and stuffed animals):

Actually, the "Sugar Paste" video takes the twee-AF-Japanese-apartment aesthetic even farther by setting the whole thing in the bathroom:

I had assumed that the "Piggy Bank" single and Waterproof Leaf were all they had done, but it turns out they also had an EP called Pigs Might Fly - thank you internet!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8Kxrrgfu7vqUROhczAkISbd4KhDVaSgF

Anyway, this is my annual reminder that if the cards had fallen differently, I suppose I could have gone down the twee pop road instead of being a monster. It could have been all right. PS: That reminds me that I need to finally upload my all-ring-modulator album