Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Memory Excellence 33: 1986

33. 1986

Nothing is real and everything's blurry
A brown landscape moves around me

Everything I knew, I left it behind me
the wilderness closed in

Nothing is real and everything's blurry
A house springs up while I'm sleeping

My mouth is not fit to pronounce these names
of roads that run off like gnarled branches

Nothing is real and everything's blurry
I don't understand it. Let's start again.

This one is from the album Tualatin or the Voice of Shrillness, which mines my years of maximum adolescent awkwardness for song material. In 1986 I hit a certain developmental milestone, moved approximately 2000 miles, and got glasses, big horrible aviator specs no less. A rough year.

The third stanza owes a debt to the first story in Jason's graphic novel Sshhhh!

OK, song descriptions done - time to rebuild my archives!

Thinking about doing Bandqlamp even though I dislike Bandqlamp on principle - while I get the idea that it makes things easy for artists and encourages people to pay for music, I don't like the fact that it has basically domesticated DIY and put everything on the same template, one that revolves around money instead of music. Alternatives exist (e.g. archive.org) but can be clunky. I'll get things sorted out soon.