Friday, October 26, 2018

Memory Excellence 27: Exotic Car Repair Across Street from Refugee Center

27. Exotic Car Repair Across Street from Refugee Center

I have seen much more than that bright idea that sold so well 
that bought you that car that's up in the air needing more repairs.
Hungry thirsty dream. I have lived that scene. I have come so far.
Far away from here where I chose to be where I hear we're free.
We're all broken in this broken world.

Cast your eyes to the fever dream! Hoists in traction!
In this dingy place like a broken laser to shine one day.
Shine on all these streets! Rev a turbo bleat! Spend so foolishly!
Live a fever dream and reverse the scene so it's me who pays.
We're all broken in this broken world.

Yeah, this song basically wrote itself. For nearly a decade I biked to my job at the refugee organization which was quite literally across from a shop that repaired Maseratis, Lotuses, Ferraris, all of them. I'd see our clients walking past these hobbled stallions out in the numbers and tell myself that I had to write a song about it. I did. Eventually.

Incidentally, I love guitar solos.

This one comes from the Spirit Duplicator album Eternal Youth and Obscurity, which had several other tracks almost make it. It's a good album, and as a bonus, I printed the covers on my Apple //c from high school.