Friday, June 23, 2023

Happy Valley e-bike ambassador program

My wife and I bought the least expensive acceptable e-bike at a certain mall co-op recently. Mainly for her, but I knew I'd use it too. 

Today we had the day off, so I rode it up the sheer face of Mt. Scott to our fancy-pants neighbors to the east, Happy Valley (they're having their yearly "garage sale," i.e. mostly Costco stuff from a couple years back). People flipped. Everyone wanted to talk about it and ask me how I liked it. An older Korean couple looked at it, got close to the handlebars, nodded, and gave me a thumbs up. One lady selling Rollerblade gear mentioned that she'd love an e-bike but just can't afford it (note: Z*ll*w valuation of house nearly a million). One guy asked what the range is (30-40 miles per the website) and mentioned that he was looking into some mail-order brand that could go 150 miles with dual batteries. Once he moved onto his sailboat, he was going to put it on his dinghy and sail it across the seas, pick up provisions when in port. Power to you and your dream.

I climbed bonkers hills without much effort, got totally lost in the whorls of cul-de-sacs*. I had to ask dinghy guy and the older Korean couple how to make it back to the main road. Eventually their advice got me to Sunnyside Road where Jeeps and lifted RAMs and lowered Acuras zoomed past me, though I caught them all at the red light by the hospital, then turned off and went home.

The aggressive wealth and bland McMansion sameiness of that place always turns me off, but the nice thing about yard sales is that it exposes the occasional weird underbelly. The "Jump Rope for Heart" duffel bag that someone has held onto for 35 years. The faux-French water dispenser and darling vintage white plastic Korean metronome. The assless French maid lingerie still in box next to the battery-powered kids' ride-on police car. I guess if you zoom in close enough on any place, there's some weirdness to be seen, though some places you have to zoom into the molecular level.

*PS: it took great effort not to use the fancypants plural culs-de-sac