Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Grandpa What's a Powerviolence

In the early 90s I had a subscription to Maximum Rock 'n' Roll and I bought things that were cheap and looked interesting. I think I've mentioned Bleeeeaaaauuuurrrrgggghhhhh!!!!! and the various works of Slap A Ham Records before, or at least I hope I have? Anyway somehow I stumbled upon No Comment's Downsided (YouChoob link) which I know I owned at some point because I remember everything here, though somehow I must have bleached my memory of the aggressively awful cover? I mean, aggressively awesome? 

In any case, it is pretty great if you have any interest in that sort of thing - which I did not realize was called "powerviolence" until much much later, and which probably would have led me as a young pacifist to stay away - and perfectly terrible if you do not. I don't think I still own it - it must have been lost at some radio station or other, lost in the cosmic churn that ended up with several records walking home with someone else and several others wandering home with me. Someone else ended up with a cover of a child being birthed, a fetus, someone sitting bleakly on a curb, cigarettes. Maybe it's for the best.

I accidentally added this album to my "Cheese" playlist, so I ended up listening to Bob Welch's "Sentimental Lady" immediately afterwards.