Friday, August 26, 2022

13th Floor Elevators/geezer rock moment

I think I finally get the 13th Floor Elevators. Digging Easter Everywhere as a desperate late-summer jam. Not sure if I love the rest of their oeuvre but I'll probably get there.

Today I dropped the boy off at daycare (just a few more days) and stopped by the office to handle some tedious in-person tasks. On the way out I was blasting "Slip Inside This House" with the windows open in my subcompact, and a minivan passed me with ITS windows open playing "I Want You (She's So Heavy)". It was a little eerie. Same key, same tempo. Totally could be a geezer-rock mashup. It was a moment. I wonder if the minivan driver also felt it.

I drove past the Russian bakery and the dispensary and the subsidized housing and headed onto the freeway home in that eerie late-August light.